Medford woman indicted for killing twin daughters


Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy D. Sini announced the indictment of Tenia Campbell for allegedly murdering her twin two-year-old daughters, Jasmine and Jaida Campbell, in Montauk on June 27.

An autopsy conducted by the Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner on the two victims determined the cause of death to be homicidal violence consistent with manual asphyxia.

Campbell, 24, of Medford, is charged with two counts of Murder in the First Degree, an A felony, and two counts of Murder in the Second Degree, an A felony. She was arraigned on the indictment last week in front of Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice Richard Ambro and was remanded without bail. She is due back in court on August 7.

“This is an extremely tragic case,” District Attorney Sini said. “Especially as a parent, the alleged actions of this defendant are incomprehensible. While nothing can bring those girls back, we will seek justice on their behalf.”

At approximately 2:30 p.m. on June 27, police received a 911 call from Campbell’s mother stating that the defendant was threatening to kill herself and her two-year-old twin daughters. Following the call, the Suffolk County Police Department, New York State Police, Suffolk County Park Rangers, Southampton Town Police and East Hampton Town Police began a countywide search for Campbell.

At approximately 4:05 p.m., East Hampton Town Police officers located Campbell and her two daughters in a vehicle at the entrance of the Montauk County Park Third House Nature Center, located at 1929 Montauk Highway.

Upon location, police described Tenia Campbell, 24, as hysterical, screaming at officers to shoot her as she walked toward Montauk Highway from her parked vehicle. East Hampton police were able to contain and arrest Campbell and found Jasmine and Jaida in cardiac arrest in their car seats. Police made lifesaving attempts, however, upon arrival at Stony Brook Southampton Hospital, they were pronounced dead. 

At that time, Campbell allegedly stated to police that she had killed the children. If convicted, Campbell faces a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole.